History and culture

The first mention of Privlaka was preserved in a document dated April the 10th of 1296. Citizen of Zadar, John asked that day notary Tarallo Henry to put together a will in which, inter alia, states: Vinea mea de Privlaka – my vineyard in Privlaka.

A rich history of Privlaka is evidenced by numerous archaeological remains and sacred objects, among which are :
Church of St.Barbara (13th century ), located near the hamlet Grbic on the north side of the road from Nin to Privlaka, the remains of the church of St.Kate from 14th century, which is located on a small hill in the midst of vineyard, about 1 km north of St. Barbara. Church of St. Kate is marked on the two maps, topographic from 1675. and Coronellius map from 1678.

Church of St.Vid (14th century) is the only preserved older church on the peninsula and was the parish church of the village Kupari. St. Vid is the patron of pharmacists, brewers, dancers, actors and deaf and dumb.

The parish church of St . Mary ( 19th century ) was located on the former outskirts of the village and in time it eventually found its way to the main road. On the main altar there is an interesting painting from Mary’s life cycle. Although not one of the top works of Baroque masters, the picture is very interesting with its baroque narrativenes. The parish church of St. Mary is one of the most beautiful examples of the original clasical architecture in Dalmatia.

Among the other churches in the Privlaka area we certainly need to mention the church of Sv. Peter from the 17th century and the church of St. Christopher ( 1398. ) of which today nothing has remaind to see.

Old churches, architectural heritage, even in sparse remnants, reflect the culture of the former Christian residents in Privlaka. The churches were embelished and upgraded during last centuries.

Apartments Bilušić

Blaženka Bilušić

Cell 1: +385 99 3111-031
Cell 2: +385 98 229-118
info@apartmani-bilusic.com

Address

Škrapavac 67, 23233 Privlaka, Hrvatska

Menu

Beaches Privlaka